Following on from our journaling post we’ve been asking ourselves why we can’t stick to our new healthier routines. Why did I practice my yoga for 3 weeks, only to let it fall by the wayside? why can’t I make meditation a daily practice? Are you like me, do you struggle to motivate yourself? Do you always start with good intentions and then slowly slip back into a familiar routine?
I was cycling almost daily during lockdown for my exercise and enjoying it. I promised myself that I would keep this up and make it a regular thing. So, why is my new bike now sat in the garden shed gathering dust? Is it because we’re hardwired not to move from our comfort zone?
We have some recommended tips to help you to make those changes stick and become second nature.
- Write down your goal. Apparently, if we write down what we want to achieve, then we’re more likely to achieve it. Write it on a post-it note and stick it on your mirror.
- Schedule your goal into your plans. I often find that if I’ve scheduled something into my day, generally it gets done. If your goal is to go to the gym three times a week, put it into your diary, time, etc and work everything else around it.
- Be consistent with time. If your goal is to meditate daily. Make it a priority to set a time that best suits you and try to stick to this time. This will then become part of your routine. I will meditate every morning before breakfast.
- Set small goals. Don’t overload and take on too many tasks that you overwhelm yourself with things that you feel you need to do.
- Create an affirmation for change. That simply means write down what you want to change and repeatedly tell yourself this. “I want to make Yoga my daily practice”. Say it out loud and you’re more likely to achieve it.
- Don’t set unrealistic goals! I’m an all-or-nothing kinda girl and I often find that I want to achieve too much, too quickly and then disappointment sets in when I don’t achieve perfection.
- Take note of all the small changes that take place and you’ll find that the bigger changes will happen naturally.
- Reward yourself
For more inspiring ideas on getting the life you want, finding purpose and achieving fulfilment, check out Motivate Yourself by Andro Donavan. Click through to our Buy Now page //www.thechamomilelounge.com/buy-now/